Skip to main content

A journey to remember

After my Diwali vacation in India, I was heading back to Helsinki by Finnair flight on 21st November to resume my work in Finland.

The weather during the flight was extraordinarly good and for the first three hours we overflew North India and Afghanistan with tremendous views.

PicturePicture
Southern Afghanistan North India from 35ooo feet


Arriving at Helsinki, outside temperature was at -3 degrees – a hefty change from the 28 degrees in Delhi – and it was snowing heavily.

I thought of taking a yellow taxi from airport, but that didn't arrive even after waiting for 15 min. I was too tired to wait anymore, so just boarded a Finnair shuttle to city center. Though, my home is walkable distance from there, but the snow, chilled wind and my luggage made me queueing at the taxi stand and finally I reached home at around 4 pm.

Welcome back to home !

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Solving PyCharm bug: "Python helpers are not copied yet..."

I have been using PyCharm Professional to run and debug Python code from my Windows machine to a remote Linux device. There are some other tools available for the same purpose (e.g. Python Tool for Visual Studio 2017). But in my opinion, PyCharm Professional stands out among its counterparts as it comes with a "All Batteries Included" setup. Once you configure remote Python interpreter in PyCharm, then it works out of the box. However, today after upgrading to PyCharm Professional 2018.2.1, I could not run my Python script on remote device. The execution always failed with below error - "Error running 'hello': Python helpers are not copied yet to the remote host. Please wait until remote interpreter initialization finishes." To solve this issue, I had to remove the ".pycharm_helpers " folder from the remove device and then restart PyCharm so that the folder is re-created and files are copied again. Here are the steps with comma...

Customized Crosshair with OxyPlot charting library

I am using Oxyplot to draw heatmap for a WPF project and needed to draw a crosshair that moves according to user clicks. Since I couldn't find any good example or documentation on the topic, I made a small hack by using LineAnnotations and by over-riding Oxyplot mouse click event. Here is the sample code using WPF with MVVM pattern- MainWindow.xaml <Grid>         <oxy:Plot x:Name="CrossHairPlot">             <oxy:Plot.Axes>                 <oxy:LinearAxis Key="MyXAxis" Position="Bottom" IsZoomEnabled="False"/>                 <oxy:LinearAxis Key="MyYAxis" Position="Left" IsZoomEnabled="False"/>                 <oxy:LinearColorAxis Key="...

Generating settings.SECRET_KEY in django

On some occasions, there might be a need to generate a random Secret key for your Django project. The easiest option could be starting a django shell and running the below command - from django.core.management. utils import get_random_secret_key get_random_secret_key () However, this may not be safe to use in a production environment. A better option is to use a defined a set of allowed characters including upper case letters and then use Django to generate a long key. Here is an example of it - a. Define a list of allowed characters lower_plus_numbers = ( list ( chr (o) for o in range ( 0x61 , 0x7B )) + list ( chr (o) for o in range ( 0x30 , 0x3A ))) punctuation = list ( '!@#$%^&*(-_=+)' ) upper_alpha = list ( chr (o) for o in range ( 0x41 , 0x5B )) b. Generate Secret Key from django.utils.crypto import get_random_string key_length = 60 get_random_string( key_length, allowed_chars=lower_plus_numbers + punctuation + upper_alpha, ) c...