Skip to main content

Recursively deleting files in Windows

Due to a magical feature of OneNote software, one day I noticed lots of files with extension '.onetoc2' in one of the folder and each of it's subfolders. 

I found the below solution using wildcards with 'del' command and '/S' switch to remove them completely and recursively - 

1.  Open command prompt and go to home directory where you want to perform this operation
            cd MyFiles

2.  Run the below command –
del /S  *.onetoc2


PS: There's a huge difference between running del /S *.onetoc2 and del /S C:\*.onetoc2. 
The first command is executed from the current location, whereas the second is executed on the whole drive.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Solving PyCharm bug: "Python helpers are not copied yet..."

I have been using PyCharm Professional to run and debug Python code from my Windows machine to a remote Linux device. There are some other tools available for the same purpose (e.g. Python Tool for Visual Studio 2017). But in my opinion, PyCharm Professional stands out among its counterparts as it comes with a "All Batteries Included" setup. Once you configure remote Python interpreter in PyCharm, then it works out of the box. However, today after upgrading to PyCharm Professional 2018.2.1, I could not run my Python script on remote device. The execution always failed with below error - "Error running 'hello': Python helpers are not copied yet to the remote host. Please wait until remote interpreter initialization finishes." To solve this issue, I had to remove the ".pycharm_helpers " folder from the remove device and then restart PyCharm so that the folder is re-created and files are copied again. Here are the steps with comma...

Customized Crosshair with OxyPlot charting library

I am using Oxyplot to draw heatmap for a WPF project and needed to draw a crosshair that moves according to user clicks. Since I couldn't find any good example or documentation on the topic, I made a small hack by using LineAnnotations and by over-riding Oxyplot mouse click event. Here is the sample code using WPF with MVVM pattern- MainWindow.xaml <Grid>         <oxy:Plot x:Name="CrossHairPlot">             <oxy:Plot.Axes>                 <oxy:LinearAxis Key="MyXAxis" Position="Bottom" IsZoomEnabled="False"/>                 <oxy:LinearAxis Key="MyYAxis" Position="Left" IsZoomEnabled="False"/>                 <oxy:LinearColorAxis Key="...

Profiling with SQL Server Management Studio

On the Query menu, click on ‘Include Advance Execution Plan’ or click the toolbar button. Now open a new query window, type the following queries and execute them. use Northwind ; set statistics io on ; set statistics time on ;  Select top 5 * from Customers   You should be now able to see additional information in the message tab and execution plan tab (along with result tab in lower window pane)